The decision to open a museum in Aksu was adopted by decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev in 2000. The year had been defined as "Supporting year of Culture". The Administration of Aksu decided to open a local museum of history and ethnography, and the registration of the museum was held in the Department of Justice of Pavlodar on 18 October, 2000.
Formal grand opening was on 23 October 2001. This date was not chosen randomly, because it was dedicated to the 40-year anniversary of Aksu city. The first head of the museum was Akshulakova Gulzhanar Naskenovna.
The museum is located in the heart of the city (Auezov Street 8), in the building Palace of Culture. The total area of building is 218.9 square meters, 146.4 sq.m of which was directly hold by exhibition hall. There are only five employees. The spacious and bright exhibition hall of the museum has sections such as: archeology, history of city, honorable citizens, nature and fauna, industry and enterprise, hall of ethnography, culture, sport, mass media, agriculture, 4 stands of veterans of the Great Patriotic War, information about the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, 50 years in Celinne and others.
Aksu ethnographical museum is small and has relatively short history. However, the entire history of the city, urban household items, documents and ethnographic materials are exhibited in a small and cozy museum.
There were about 200 exhibits in the collection during the opening of the museum. After 10 years, museum fund was replenished to 3086 exhibits (photographs, archival materials, utensils) by the help of museum staff and supporting of local authorities, citizens.
History of Aksu city is shown in the exhibition. The museum preserves simple things, many of which surprise children, and remind adults the memories of a glorious past.
Many exhibits of museum collection reflect the life and experiences of ordinary citizens. Each object can be specifically told apart and here represented women's shoes of the 50-60 years of the last century. Girls wore these shoes in order to conquer new ground from all over the Soviet Union. Vintage gramophone was used for listening to records, dancing to the rhythms of well-known tunes; television of the 60s, which was brought from Mongolia; tape of the 80s; wall clock of the 70s; box; cosmetic bag from Japanese War; 4 issues of the magazine "Ogonek", which was published in 1912; the newspaper, which was addressed people by I.V.Stalin in the beginning of the war in 1941 and after Great victory in 1945; medals, which were given to the museum by veterans, letters from the front and others.
Museum staff regularly conducts tours and other scientific-educational works. Lectures, round tables and meetings of students with veterans, honorable citizens, soldiers from Afghanistan war are in the exposition hall. The exhibition of Aksu regional art masters and drawn stands for anniversaries are organized here. The local newspaper "Jol" and the radio "Aksu Tolkyn" cover every held event at the museum.