Address: Ust-Kamenogorsk, K. Kaisenov Street 40. Tel: +7 (7232) 25-54-60

The East-Kazakhstan regional museum of history and local history is one of the oldest museums in the republic. It was founded in 1915 under People's House. Collections of local students of local history became the base of the museum. The museum was renamed to the regional one in 1939. It was closed several times and reorganized up to 1939. The deed about delivery a new building to the regional museum on Uritski Street 40 by the state commission on November10, 1967. The museum has been going in the building up to now. At the present times the museum had became a big storage of monuments of history of East Kazakhstan starting from ancient times up to nowadays. The museum of history and local history was twice called the best one in the former USSR as the largest center of history and culture of East-Kazakhstan region.

The area of the museum is 1404,7 square meters. The exposition is divided into halls of nature, history, archeology, ethnography, culture of ancient nomads of Kazakh Altay, the hall of history of Great Patriotic war, history of Ust-Kamenogorsk, exhibition halls. There are more than 140 thousand pieces in the museum. Only 10 thousand of them were exhibited for visitors. It is explained with of expositional area shortage.

One of the museum halls shows richness of nature of East-Kazakhstan region. There are 114 species of mammals, 400 species of birds, 3500 species of plants, more than 15 thousand of insects, tens thousands of invertebrate animals. Natural-scientific collections characterize features of natural recourses of East-Kazakhstan region where almost all metals of Mendeleev's table are mined. There are entomological, ornithological, zoological, mineralogical, palaenthological, botanical collections, stuffed birds and stuffed animals in the fund.

One of the most interesting halls of the museum is devoted to archeology and arts and crafts of the region. Materials of all expeditions starting from 1947 are presented in the archeological collection. It is one of the biggest collections in Kazakhstan. Halls contain treasures of ancient barrows found bu famous archeologists S. Chernikov, A. Maksimova, F. Arslanova, Z. Samashev. The unique pieces are a bronze dagger of XIII c. B.C. with the top in the form of a horse, mirrors with runic signs of Ix-X cc. from Zevakinski burial ground. Ethnographical collection shows history of people of East-Kazakhstan Its exhibits are the kobyz made in the second half of XIX c., tuskiyz, iambic silver bullions, man's wedding shirt of 1852, metric book of Ust-Kamenogorsk town. The most beautiful things from legendary Berel barrow, dating from IV-III B.C. are presented in the hall "Culture of ancient nomads of Altay in Kazkahstan". Great works of fine arts of ancient nomads made in the Scythian animal style from wood, leather, thick felt covered with golden foil, tin and red ochre are delightful.

The hall of history of Ust-Kamenogorsk of XVIII-XX cc. keeps things reproducing its formation and development. There are Tula samovars, Swiss, German, Russian watches, valdai bells, chinaware and highly glazed pottery of Gardner and Kuznecov, Viennese furniture.

Exposition of Great Patriotic war period hall gives an account of heroic feats of people from East-Kazakhstan on the battlefronts, rear workers' selfless work also it contains materials of participants of the Great Patriotic war, Heroes of the Soviet Union.

Exhibits of the last halls devoted to the modern period illustrates development of political system of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the growth of industrial potential of East Kazakhstan, building of electric power stations and metallurgical enterprises, development of social sphere and infrastructure, integration of the largest enterprises of the region in the world economics.

Nowadays the museum is a scientific-methodological informational center of the region which opened branches in all district centers. Scientific workers of the museum published 250 scientific articles in republican and international magazines, wrote 10 monographs about nature and 15 books of history of the region including «Physical geography of East Kazakhstan», «Red book of East Kazakhstan », «People's souls and memories», «Phenomena of East Kazkahstan » and etc on the base of expositions. Thanks to high professionalism of the collective only the museum of history and local history can take part in development international scientific programs, take part in international expeditions on following subjects: "Scythians' culture of Altay in Kazakhstan: problems of genesis, continuity of cultures", "Preservation and stable development of bio-variety of Kazakhstan part of Altay-Sayan ecological region", "East Kazakhstan in the system of metallurgical and metalworking centers in Eurasian metallurgical province", "Keeping cultural heritage", "Program of safekeeping of a snow leopard in East Kazakhstan region". The end of work at "Scythians' culture of Altay in Kazakhstan" project was opening of exposition «Culture of ancient nomads of Altay in Kazkahstan" in 2009 where unique restored findings from barrows of Berel necropolis were exhibited for the first time.

The head of the museum concluded contracts about scientific collaboration with the mining museum in Bochum and Ruhr University of Germany for work at "Copper and tin of Central Asia steppes". They carry out the work at the international project of the UN. Scientific workers of the section also take part in development new especially protected nature territories (EPNT): nature national parks and reservations.

  • Tell your friends:
The East-Kazakhstan regional museum of history and local history.

Museum of Aset Naimanbayev

The museum of the famous Kazakh poet and composer Aset Naimanbayev is sitiated in Urjar area, Makanshy village of the East Kazakhstan region. The museum is a branch of the State Reserve-Museum of Abay, its exhibition was opened in 1992 being dedicated to the 125th anniversary of the poet.

The years of exile connect Dostoyevski (1854-59) with Semipalatinsk.  In 1854 an exiled convict petrashevets F. M. Dostoevski finished the term of penal servitude in Omsk jail was taken to the ranks in Seventh Siberian line battalion in Semipalatinsk.

The Literature-memorial house of F. Dostoyevski museum

The years of exile connect Dostoyevski (1854-59) with Semipalatinsk.  In 1854 an exiled convict petrashevets F. M. Dostoevski finished the term of penal servitude in Omsk jail was taken to the ranks in Seventh Siberian line battalion in Semipalatinsk.