Address:Kyzylorda, Auesov Street 20, Tel.: +7 (72422) 7 62 74
The Kyzylorda regional museum of history and local history was opened in 1939 in the building of Russian Orthodox Church of Perovskaya Kazanskaya Mother of God which is a unique architectural complex built in 1890-1895. The most valuable pieces were batyr’s armors, fun tubes which were used for capture the fortress Ak-Meshit, coins collection which were in the turnover in trade points of the Silk Road.
In 1980 a two-storey building was given for the museum by the decision of executive committee of the Council of People’s deputies.This building was built in 1953 and now it is a monument of architecture of the 50s of XX century.
The museum was closed for the capital repair and building a new exposition from 1980-1985. The museum was opened for visitors on May 7, 1985. Re-exposition of the museum took place in 2001-2004. Restoration works of the façade and roof of the regional museum were done starting from September to October 2011.
Exposition of the museum takes 1078 square m and is situated in 14 halls: nature of the region – 2, archeology and ethnography - 4, development of the modern society – 8. The museum has two branches: the museum of the monument to Korkyt-ata and the museum of history of Kyzylorda - "Akmeshit".
The collection of the regional museum of history and local history has 51239 pieces, the main collection is 28923 pieces.They are items of archeology and ethnography, numismatics, sculpture, articles of decorative art, photos and documents, collection of the rarest books, flora and fauna of the region.Fund of the museum is rich for archeological and ethnographical collections, collection of jewelry, rare books and signs.
Archeological collection of the museum started to form in 1980. There are 2915 pieces which were found during archeological expeditions in the territory of the region. Many of them are priceless and date from the stone, bronze and middle ages. A large group of monuments of late Stone age in the ancient delta of the Syrdaria, Saksaulskaya station in the territory of the region. Pottery was distinguished by its originality. Its surface was decorated with a complicated geometrical ornament. Bronze cauldrons with three legs are evidence left by the state of Oguz tribes. The important source of information of material culture of Scythians is copper and bronze items which were found during archeological excavations. They show a high level of development of these people.
Stonesculpturestakeaspecialplace. They were the first steps to sculptural portraying of people.Theyweremade from special stones by the technique of outline carved painting, relief and volumetric sculpture. The archeological collection of the Kyzylorda regional museum recently has been supplemented with ceramic ornamented tiles, mills, pottery found in the place of Kerderi mausoleum.
There is a six-rope yurt with interior and furniture in the centre of the ethnographical hall. Wooden items arouse a big interest: adalbakan, tosek agash, kebezhe (dish for preserving products), which attract with harmonic relief ornaments and colorful composition.
The museum pays a special attention to development of writing culture, enlightenment and education with acquisition of collections, doing scientific researches. Pride of the museum collection is the most unique examples of books published in 1729-1920 in Old Turkic, Persian and Arabic in St. Petersburg, Moscow and Tashkent. The museum got copies of books about Korkyt Ata «KitabidedeKorkyt» («Old man Korkyt’s book») – written epic monument of Turkic peoples, translation from Turkic of original manuscripts of Vatican and Dresden.
National jewelry which were kept in the fund of Kyzylorda regional museum of history and local history are characterized with richness of traditional forms, a big variety of ornamental motives. They were made from silver, precious stones – coral, pearl, turquoise and cornelian. There are adornments of girls’ braids such as sholpy, makeweight of braids -shahbau, bracelets, earrings, buckles – kapsyrma, massive globe-shaped buttons - tyrsyldak tuime, pin- tuireuishamong pieces
Visitors’ big interest is aroused by exposition devoted to People’s artist of the USSR, "People’s Hero" – Roza Baglanova and honored artist of Republic of Kazakhstan MadinaYeraliyeva.
Multimedia cabinet wase quipped in regional museum of history and local history connected to the Internet. A new computer program «Museolog»was adopted in order to improve works in accounting, keeping the museum funds and connecting museums to the computer informational net in the museum